14 May 2008

Nora Roberts Speaks

In celebration of National TV Turnoff Week I purchased and read several books - and ran smack into the Law of Unintended Consequences.

I now find myself in the midst of an ongoing "Nora Roberts As J.D. Robb" novel-reading orgy.

Like Sue Grafton, Roberts gets it about abuse. Both novelists' main characters are trauma survivors, brave and flawed and increasingly self-aware over time.

The J.D. Robb novels can be very gritty and graphic, however, and some of them are quite dark and violent; be forewarned. They can be strong, strong stuff. Approach with caution if you yourself have been severely traumatized and are still in the early stages of recovery.

I want to blog more about both Grafton and Roberts-as-Robb, and will, in the near future. For now, though, there's a pull quote that tickled me hugely in the Roberts novel I'm currently reading:
"You can believe that if you want. Me, I'd rather deal with the truth."
Amen, sister, amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home